Previewing the 2022 ASI Elections

Photo courtesy of Stan State’s ASI.

ASI elections for Stanislaus State’s 2021-2022 academic year are here, with a number of candidates vying for seats. Election day takes place on Wednesday, April 20 and Thursday, April 21.

“It is highly important for the campus body to vote in the upcoming election voting dates because the purpose of the ASI Board of Directors is to serve the students of Stanislaus State and amplify the student voice,” said ASI Student Government Student Coordinator & Election Chair, Irlanda Vela.

Vela explained that, like any real-life voting election, the importance is in the participation to have voices heard.

“The elected Board of Directors will directly affect the college experience for Stan State students because they are their collective voice and will advocate for change where it is needed,” Vela said. 

The candidate’s and the positions they are running for are as follows:

President

Current ASI vice president, Destiny Suarez, will be running unopposed for the presidential position.

“During my previous terms, I have made many connections, observations and partnerships. I understand what it’s like to be a first generation student as well as working under the pandemic terms,” Suarez said. “Although online gave us limitations on advocacy, now that we are in person I am more eager to fight for the students needs! We are recreating the future of Stanislaus State.”

Vice President

As Suarez vacates her seat as ASI vice president, JC Navarro will look to take over position. Like Suarez, Navarro is running unopposed.

“Two main goals I will accomplish are to continue the promotion mental health awareness and encourage sustainability throughout campus,” Navarro said.

Vice President of Finance

Adela Gonzalez will also be running opposed for the position of vice president of finance, a position she currently holds.

“If elected I hope to create a program where leftover over Flex money (dining dollars) is donated to students in Housing and Residential Life who are struggling financially… I also hope to bring food trucks on campus, which will allow students to have more options for dining,” Gonzalez said.

Director for College of Business Administration

Three individuals will be vying fr the position of director for the college of Business Administration. Jacqueline Castellanos, Miriam Valdez and Jackline Soro will face off to represent the college of Business Administration.
“My main goals I hope to accomplish is sustainability at Stan State, as well as more clubs and organizations for business majors,” Catsellanos said. “I want every student to be able to participate and be involved in campus community.”
Valdez promises to use her background as a business major to advocate for Stan State students financially.

“Students should be able to enjoy their college experience, from beginning to end. They should not have to worry about any struggles or problems that may arise within their major. If there is ever a problem, I will make sure that it is handled..” Valdez said.

Meanwhile, Soro promises to make an effort at connecting business students with the community.

“I will work hard for this goal so that everyone may feel included by continuously reaching out and communicating about different opportunities for everyone,” Soro said.

Director of College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

Jacob Brucker is running for this position unopposed.

“If elected my two are goals are: make students in my department heard and understood by the governing body and university at large, and to bring new opportunities to students regardless of background or position,’ Brucker said. 

Director for Graduate Students

Rachel Riojas and Maya Ramirez will run against each other to become the newest director for graduate students.

“My two main goals are to advocate for graduate students by bringing their concerns to the table and finding ways to make them feel more included in the Warrior community,” Riojas said. “Many graduate students are working full-time and attending classes in the evenings. This makes their needs different and can impact their sense of connectedness on campus.”

“If elected, I hope to further the bridge between resources on campus available to students, such as the basic needs program, mental health and counseling services, emergency housing, and more,” Ramirez said. “Second, I hope to increase access to information on graduate school to undergraduate students, showing them that graduate school is possible for them.”

Director for Athletics

Taylor Pilot and Jadyn Glushenko are the two candidates looking to represent Stan State’s athletics department.

“I am a current student-athlete who believes in the mission of Stanislaus State Athletics where the student-athlete experience embodies success in the classroom, competition, and community. I would be dedicated to connecting with my fellow students to hear their insight and fight for causes important to this student population,” Pilot said.

“Students should vote for me because I am passionate in advocating in student athletes on campus. as a student athlete myself I experience the struggle student athletes go through. if elected I want to advocate for student athletes,” Glushenko said.

Director for Sustainability

The director of sustainability will be decided between Trent Murphy and Miranda Gonzalez.

“I hope to address the issue of pollution Stanislaus State generates from students commuting to campus – more specifically creating a ride sharing/carpooling program,” Murphy said. “Also, I wish to work with campus housing and non-campus housing to create affordable living options for students in the city of Turlock so as to cut down emissions from commuting.”

“If elected, my goal is  to bring more awareness to sustainability on campus by collaborating with clubs, like Eco Warriors and the Ag Ambassadors to promote ways they incorporate sustainability into their daily routines,” Gonzalez said.

Director for Student Organizations

Emma Pohl and Ayush Prasad are running to be the next director for student organizations.

“If I were to be elected, one of my main goals is to improve communications between ASI and Student Organizations. Communication is so important for not only officers within student orgs but also members themselves and the information that they receive from their leaders,” Pohl said.

“Im socially very involved on campus and have a schedule that allows for hearing constant student feedback. I hope to incorporate this feedback into my work as a Board of Director. I am also an active member within Greek life already on campus and hope to be a member of additional student organizations,” Prasad said.

Director for Diversity

Michael Mirasol and Jordy Salgado are running to be ASI’s newest director for diversity.

“As a Filipino-American who grew up in the Philippines, I understand the importance of having a community to connect with, especially when it comes to people who have the same set of cultures and traditions,” Mirasol said. “I can offer a new perspective as a student who grew up in another country, and push for diversity and support for all culture groups.”

“As a first-generation student, I know how difficult college can be yet how rewarding it feels as well. I hope to make a welcoming environment, and that is something I will always strive for. Working as a Peer Mentor for the Educational Opportunity Program has gained my knowledge as a student which I will pass on to this position if elected,” Salgado said.

Director for Housing and Residential Life

Ruben Marquez Jimenez will be running unopposed to represent students living in Stan State’s housing facilities.

“If elected to this position, I hope to better the dining options for all Stan State students, especially those living on campus who highly depend on on-campus dining. Being a current resident, I have experienced the lack of available healthy food options and limited dining hours,” Jimenez said. “Another goal is to ensure students living on campus are able to engage themselves as much as possible and enjoy the social life on campus.”

Director for College of Science

Shaheen Khan and Adrian Sanchez will run against one another to represent the college of Science.

Khan is running for the second, and hopes to better assist students with mental health and food insecurity resources. Meanwhile, this Sanchez’s first time running.

“If elected, one of my main goals on the ASI Board of Directors would be to allow for more inclusive learning experience for students by allowing them to voice their concerns and also voice what the students feel currently aids them in their studies,” Sanchez said.

Director for College of Education, Kinesiology and Social Work

Hannah Bell is running unopposed for the position of director for the college of Education, Kinesiology and Social Work.

“I believe I am a good candidate for this position because as student with multiple responsibilities outside of school, I know how much students have on their plate while also managing classes,” Bell said. “I would see it as my responsibility to help these students still be involved in what decisions are made for their education, without harmfully impacting their busy schedules.”

More information on each candidate can be found on the ASI Elections webpage.

Voting options include online and in-person. In order to vote either online or in-person, one must be an enrolled Stan State student.

For the online option, polls open on April 20 at 8 a.m. and close on April 21 at 7 p.m. Students will receive a BigPulse link in their student email to enter the poll online. The ballot will then be emailed to the student email.

For the in-person option, the location will be in South Dining on Wednesday and Thursday, April 20 & 21. The time of the in-person voting will be from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on both days. Students must bring their Warrior ID for in-person voting.

Irlanda Vela’s contact information is provided on the ASI webpage if needed to answer any questions about the upcoming voting process.