A Disabled Student’s Perspective of Her Time at Stanislaus State

Caitlin in her pink wheelchair showing that she has a disability (Photo contributed by Caitlin Cox)

Disabled students lead lives that make it more difficult to attend college after high school, but I am a disabled student who ended up going to college and having one of the best college experiences that I could have imagined. Disabled students often do not feel like they would be accepted by their peers on a college campus, and that could not be further from the truth in my experience. My time at Stanislaus State has been filled with memories that I would not change for the world.
The Disability Resource Services (DRS) has helped me in many ways throughout my college career. I have a physical disability and use a wheelchair full time. I also have a service dog who has become a friend to everyone he meets on campus. Because of my disability, I have always utilized DRS and other disability services during my entire K-12 years, my time at Modesto Junior College, and here at Stan State.
Being disabled has not stopped me from achieving my dreams. DRS has been there for me when I have problems and when I need accommodations made in my classes. There are many accommodations that the service has provided me, including accessible furniture for my classes, help with note taking, and alternative media.
Not only has DRS helped in giving me accommodations, but the staff has also been a great resource for me to use. They have supported me when I am going through rough times, and they have shown me so much respect. For a female student in a wheelchair, I will cherish the time that I have had with DRS because they have boosted me up when I am feeling down.
Inclusion is something that I want the world to strive for, because it makes the world a better place to live. DRS is making that happen for students with disabilities at Stan State, and my experience with them has made me feel hopeful for my future as well as many other disabled students that come to through their doors.
The fact of the matter is that disabled students deserve as much respect and care as any other student. Disabled students, like me, bring so much greatness to the world. I don’t want other disabled students to forget that. I want them to make a difference in the world and influence others, just like I am doing.
DRS has shown me that being disabled is something that I can appreciate about myself and recognize the worth I have to give to the world. Being a disabled student has given me a lot to look forward to, and I want other disabled students to never give up on their dreams. It is so nice to have a service that cares about me as a person and I could never thank the DRS staff at Stan State enough for what they have done for me—for helping me throughout my college career and pushing me to be the best me I can be. It has been a pleasure to get to know them all, and I am so grateful for everything they have done for me and other disabled students on campus.