Halloween Highlights At Stan State

Katelyn Hawthorne

Lu Aguiniga dressed up as Dr. Strange by the Red Wave in the Student Center. Photo by Katelyn Hawthorne.

With the return to in-person learning at Stanislaus State, we have re-welcomed a warm sense of community. Countless implicit connections are re-expressed, especially through our traditions, such as wearing Halloween costumes. Stan State students across campus came together this week in diverse costumes that helped establish Halloween and community spirit.

Lu Aguiniga (sophomore, Psychology) dressed up as Dr. Strange from the Marvel series. They stated that they are an active fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and that they hand-sewed their costume, which took approximately 3-4 months in total to complete.
In regards to the costumes they encountered on campus, Aguiniga stated, “I was actually expecting a lot more, but it could also be because it’s the morning and I know it’s definitely a lot of people who don’t like to get up in the morning.”
April Gomez, a cashier at the Warrior Grill, dressed up as a cow. She said that she’s been eager to dress up in this specific costume for years. This season, she plans on taking her kids trick-or-treating to celebrate the holiday.

Michael Nelson (senior, History) came dressed as Jack Skellington from The Nightmare Before Christmas. He said that he felt as though this costume really fit him and that he feels like he can really embody him.

When asked about how his on-campus Halloween experience has been, Michael said it was coo seeing people dressed up.

“I thought I was literally gonna be the only one,” he said, “it seems as the day is going longer, I’m seeing a few more, but yeah, not too many. But I don’t care, I honestly think of it as I’m only going to be in college one time, so I might as well have fun.”
Uriel Alvarez (senior, Computer Science), a Warrior Fab Lab student assistant, was inspired by his boss, Jacob Weigel. With that, he aspired to recreate his supervisor’s apparent style.
Alan Rosales (sophomore, Computer Science) came dressed up as Joseph Joestar from the Manga series, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure. He stated that he didn’t see a lot of costumes on campus but nonetheless was excited to celebrate the holiday.

Colin Danks and Ciara Williams, both functional analysts in enrollment services, dressed up as matching goth demons. Danks said that for Halloween, they had been planning their costumes throughout the month and had previously celebrated Halloween a few weeks ago at a party. 

Williams went on to say that she had not seen a lot of people in costumes, but figured it was likely due to students still adapting to life back on campus. 

“It’s been a while since everyone’s been back on campus, I guess,” she said. “We’re not entirely online-hybrid but the comfy mode is supreme! Plus it’s a Monday.”

Angeline Dauz (junior, Chemistry) came to school dressed as a panda. She shared that she had already celebrated Halloween over the weekend with her friends. She had expected more costumes to be seen on campus, especially since it is the first year officially back in person.
 Alondra Carillo Cervantes (freshman, Psychology) came to campus dressed up as Woody from Toy Story. When asked about her perspective of the costumes on campus so far, she said she also expected more people to be dressed up, but thought there was a decent amount of costumes.

Elena Arellano (senior, Art) came dressed as Coraline. 

“I wanted to do a matching costume with my boyfriend,” she said. “So he’s being YB and I’m being Coraline and we’re going out trick-or-treating with my little siblings tonight.”

Arellano said she also expected to see more people in costume on Monday. 

“But the costumes that I’ve seen today have been really cool,” she said. “I just kinda thought more people would dress up. Maybe their costumes are more subtle. I was kind of hoping it would be a lot more.”
Bradon Hoover (junior, Art), another Warrior Fab Lab student assistant, dressed up as a bear. He said that he was casually dressing up to partake in the holiday tradition.

Marc Anthony Briones (junior, English) dressed up as an astronaut. He said that he was originally interested in being a Street Fighter character, but shifted gears and went with his astronaut costume instead. 

“I really like dressing up for Halloween, and I tend to see a lot of people excited for Halloween,” he said. “You know, I see a lot of Halloween parties, a lot of Halloween games and events, so I was expecting more. While I was walking to class earlier, I thought it wasn’t Halloween. I was confused, a little embarrassed.”

Lizbeth Cortez (sophomore, Psychology) wore a bunny costume on campus. Like others, she had celebrated the holiday over the weekend. She also thought more people would have dressed up.

Daisy Avila (junior, Biology) came to school wearing a dark, fallen angel costume. Unlike others who were asked, Avila was surprised to see as many people dressed up as she did.

“I actually expected less, like nobody to dress up, but it’s cool to see some people dressed up,” she said.