Stan State Stage Actors Share What Theater Means to Them

(courtesy of theater department)

The beauty in theater, and oftentimes the most overlooked thing, is that not one of our lives is the same. The way one person experiences something isn’t how the next person will. 

The students involved in Stanislaus State’s theater department are propelling with passion in regard to what theater means to them. A small but empowering cast of students and alumni share their insight, struggle, and love for the art that they work day and night to prepare.

Elena Marisol Gonzalez, (alumna, Theater Arts) currently plays the role of a servant in Stan State’s upcoming play, La Casa de Bernarda Alba. 

“Your performance in the show is part of your education if you are a student, Gonzalez said. “The directors always make sure to cast students first. Which is important and it should be done that way.” 

She explained that the theater community at Stan State is tight-knit, and there is always a need for more actors, which the department invites guests, alumni, or community members to audition.

“I think right now there are like 50 students or so but not all of them act. And with the auditions sometimes you need specific actors,” Gonzalez explained. “A lot of the time, the department just has an open casting call for the show. They have auditions here.” 

Renata Navarro is a guest artist who auditioned for the show. She landed the role of playing Bernarda.

Her interaction and collaboration with students allow for purpose and efficiency to seep into the atmosphere. By allowing outside artists, students are able to experience what it’s like to work in a regional theater environment. 

“I have done a couple of guest spots here at Stan State before. I love the program, and I love the opportunities. I’m a freelancer, acting-wise,” Navarro explained.

She also shared how effective exposure is in a theater. 

“It’s the fact that the directors are putting students in just the most professional environment that they can get without actually jumping out there,” she said. “It’s really amazing and cool to see.” 

Rubi Jimenez (freshmen, Theater Arts) plays the role of Magdalena and María Josefa and described what theater is like behind the scenes and wished more people knew it’s not as easy as they think. 

“There are a lot of things to it,” she said. “You have to analyze your play, your character. It’s a very open space.”

Jimenez smiled to herself while explaining, “Theatre has taught me that sometimes things don’t go the way you want them to,” she said. “But sometimes it still works out. You can always find ways to make it work out.” 

Connie Sarmiento (junior, Liberal Studies) expressed her gratitude and appreciation for the program and said she feels very welcomed. 

“The cast is amazing. As a new student, it does help a lot that they’re very understanding,” she said. “I like that I can come here and escape. I can be a different person. I can be whatever I want.” 

She explained that theatre is one of those fun places that allows you to step into any character or state of mind and be a different person for a couple of hours. 

“It’s an escape from realism. You tap into a different side of yourself,” she said. “It gives you a different meaning. Theater helps me have empathy for things that I wouldn’t necessarily go through myself.”
Guadalupe Yepez (senior, Theater Arts) plays the role of Martirio.
“What makes a good actor is giving yourself into the reality that you’re in,” she said. “Acting is reacting. Putting yourself in someone else’s shoes, real reacting is what theater is.” 

Ashley Mendez (junior, Theatre Arts and English) plays the role of Adela, calling theater a reflection of society. 

“It’s a reflection of the world around me,” she said. “It’s a way to understand. And I think it’s made me a better person because of it.” 

Mendez empathizes with the impact that is often overlooked by an audience. 

“I think my favorite thing about theater is that it’s an educational experience. Someone can walk into the theater, sit down, watch a story, maybe even relate to it, coming out as a whole different person.” 

Maribel Torres (alumna, Theatre Art and Social Sciences) plays the role of La Poncia.

“A lot of people view theater as entertainment, which it is, but I think it also influences so much of humanity and our culture,” Torres said. “It’s also a really good way of portraying what people are going through. You can relate to any character. You always find yourself, one way or another.” 

Aléta Mascorro (alumni, Theater Arts) plays the role of Angustias and encourages others to take the first step in putting themselves out there, even if they’re afraid. 

“You never know, you might be the voice they’re actually looking for but they just don’t know that it’s out there,” Mascorro said. “You’re always one experience away from changing your life completely. When you put yourself out there- what’s for you will find you.” 

La Casa De Bernarda Alba premieres September 28th 2022. The show will then continue from September 29th through October 2nd. Tickets can be purchased online only.