The Signal’s Top Stories of the Semester

Mary Weppler, Stan State’s Special Collections & University Archives librarian, speaking with CSU Signal reporter Ushuaya Castillo. The archive room is filled with historic pieces that Stanislaus State seeks to preserve. 

Signal staff and reporters wrote dozens of articles this semester and produced a number of video stories. They covered everything from sports to faculty profiles to breaking news and much more.
As we prepare for finals week and celebrate the end of the semester, we’ve picked out some of our favorite stories from the past few months in each section and listed them here, in no particular order.
All of us at the Signal wish you a successful push on the last leg of the fall semester and we’ll see you in the spring!
Academics
Preserving Warrior History: Exploring the Special Collections and University Archives
Signal video production staff members, Alex Ramirez and Ushuaya Castillo, gave an inside look at the Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA), located on the third floor of Vasché Library. In the video story, librarian Mary Weppler talks about how she and her assistants work hard on preserving the history of CSU Stanislaus and the surrounding area.
Social justice 
‘Say Her Name’: Turlock Protestors Draw Attention to Women’s Rights Violations in Iran
On Oct. 8, video production team member, Ushuaya Castillo, captured powerful video of demonstrators as they took to the corner of Monte Vista Avenue and Countryside Drive to protest the violation of women’s rights by the Iranian government and the murder of Mahsa Amini by morality police on Sept. 16.
Entertainment
Live at the Grill: Comedic Relief
Signal reporter, Odalis Cortez Campos, reported on a comic night put on by the University Student Center’s Code Red Entertainment at Warrior Grill on Oct. 20. The event, which featured three comedians; James Mwaura and Jalisa Robinson, and was hosted by comedian Ashley Monique, was well attended by students.
Art
Open Art Sessions Offer Artists a Unique Experience
Signal Editor, Natalie Villanueva, was invited to see how art students can learn to draw and paint the human body in the most personal and realistic way—from live, nude models. The open art sessions are held during each semester, inviting students to view models who are posed in classical, academic poses, which gives people a chance to figure out how to transcribe their position into their drawings. 
Fashion
Students Share Their Fall Fashion Favorites
As the weather transitioned from blazing hot to cozy fall temperatures, Social Media Manager and Reporter, Alexia Garcia, highlighted current fall fashions in a fun video. CSU Stanislaus students and fashion bloggers shared their favorite fall fashion picks at the moment.
Food 
Brewing a Culture: How College Students Embrace Coffee
Signal Reporter, Mark Coggins, compiled this piece on the coffee culture at Stanislaus State. Coggins highlighted both the big chain coffee shops and the local businesses and found out what qualities make a coffee shop a go-to spot for a cup of Joe.
Sports
Warrior Women Are CCAA Soccer Champs 
Signal Reporter, Alex Byrd, spotlighted the athletic women of Stan State. Fixating on soccer, she reports on the Warrior Women becoming CCAA Co-champions with Sonoma State. From discipline, and work ethic, to teamwork and determination, Warrior women soccer athletes propelled with strength and triumph. 
Theatre
Stan State Stage Actors Share What Theatre Means to Them
Signal Editor, Natalie Villanueva, noted the ways in which student actors feel when performing and how compelling the art of acting truly is. A small but empowering cast opens up with their insight, struggle, and love for the art that they work day and night to prepare. 
La letra N

Stan State anfitrión del día del altar de muertos
Stan State Hosts Day of the Dead Altar
Reporter, Odalis Cortes Campos, wrote about Day of the Dead and penned the piece in English as well as Spanish for our La letra N section. She got both Stan State and community perspective on the celebration in this story that’s packed with colorful photos.
Breaking news 
Vandalism Outside of Student Study Space
Signal Editors, Brian Miske and Natalie Villanueva, reported on vandalism that included a swastika and letters of KKK painted in red on the concrete ground outside of Demergasso Bava Hall. Students shared their thoughts and stirred emotions after hearing the news spread throughout the campus. 
Gas Leak 
Construction Near Campus Greenhouse Leads to Gas Leak 
Signal Lead Editor, Kristin Platts, reported on a gas leak that was detected on campus on October 11 after a main line was struck during construction of the new child development center. The event cut gas to the entire campus for several hours.