CSU Stanislaus Housing Provides Building Blocks for Student Success

Inside of the Village Game Room, where a pool table, card games, a Nintendo Switch, and a Playstation are available to residents. (Signal Photo/Malina Duran)

CSU Stanislaus’ Housing and Residential Life is only an 8-minute walk from any building on campus, providing students with numerous resources, academic support, and ongoing opportunities to connect with other students and their community. 

Housing resources that are available to students include the Academic Support Hub, the Residential Life Hub, Financial Aid Support, Residential Assistants (RAs), Peer Academic Coaches (PACs) and free printing in Academic Support Hub and Housing Office.

Village Warriors also have access to a laundry room with washers and dryers, two pools, a hot tub, two basketball courts, a volleyball net, the Village Café and Canteen, and the Village Game Room where they can play billiards, various card games, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation and watch television.

Residential Life Coordinator Nehha Kazmi explained that to encourage students to get involved and socialize, RAs and PACs plan and host events every month that range from arts and crafts to movie nights.

There are also study nights every Tuesday and Thursday where students can gather in the Village Café to study and grab snacks and goodies provided. 

“We try our best to really bring that sense of inclusivity for our students, or just ways to help them get involved and aware of all the resources that we do have on campus,” said Kazmi. 

Inclusivity is a priority for Associate Director Heather Pearson Villeda, who primarily involves herself in guiding and overseeing the daily activities and experiences of Housing students.

While no concrete plans are in place, Housing and Residential Life is floating the idea of identity-based housing where LGBTQ+ and allied students would be able to live in a common space.

Villeda suggested they could potentially partner with the CSU system on the Affordable Housing Initiative.

On the business side, Villeda collaborates with billing, marketing, communications and application cycles, and placement of students in their respective dorms.

Villeda explained that during the COVID-19 pandemic, the academic years 2020-21, approximately 100 out of the 700 beds were used as most classes were online. The university housing population has increased steadily since.

“We need to maintain a certain level of occupancy in order to be fiscally ok,” said Villeda. 

Safety at Stan State is something to be proud of as well according to Villeda. The university takes a proactive approach by partnering with the University Police Department (UPD) and the Health Center to ensure the safety of students on campus. Safety practices, policies and setting boundaries are part of the ongoing dialogue with students.

“This campus is one of the safest places by the numbers when you look at statistics and crime, one of the safest places you can be in the City of Turlock,” said Villeda.

Villeda added that making students aware of the benefits of living on campus such as proximity to classes, events, and eateries will aid their success at Stan State.

Academic Success Advisor Angie Maghinay highlighted the importance of supporting students as many of them begin to live away from home. 
“They are acclimating to living alone for the first time, especially our freshmen and transfers. But even for our upperclassmen, they are still navigating what it looks like to live in a community setting,” Maghinay explained.

According to Maghinay, Housing staff takes a holistic approach promoting student success. On top of providing free school supplies, academic support and career exploration, when a student needs additional resources, she may refer them to other campus resources such as the Writing Center, Basic Needs, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and the Student Health Center.

“All of these things make it really hard to be a person, which makes it really hard to be a student, so I try to make sure that they have the resources necessary,” Maghinay said.

Those interested in Housing can schedule a 45-60 minute tour of units and facilities as well as get informed about on-campus living. 

Students that want to live on campus as they pursue higher education at Stan State can apply for residence now.