Today is the Last Day of ASI Elections—Hear from a Few of the Candidates Running

An ASI “I Voted” sticker which is given to students if they vote in-person in Room 102 of the Vasche Library. (Signal Photo/Brian Miske)

Today is the last day of ASI elections, where CSU Stanislaus students are able to vote for their representatives on the Board of Directors, a referendum asking for the approval of an additional $15 in student fees for ASI funding, and a poll question asking for students’ top three areas they’d like ASI to work on improving.
Students are able to vote either in-person in Vasche Library Room 102 until 6 p.m. or online until the same time.
ASI has sent out two emails with the subject line containing “VOTE: Student Government Elections 2024” which contains a link to the poll.
Students need to simply click on this poll link, with no signing up or verification required, and it will immediately bring up the ballot where students can vote on these measures and answer the survey.
The races for the ASI Board of Directors this year are competitive, with the races for ASI Vice President, the Director of the College of Sciences, the Director of Diversity, and the Director of Sustainability all having multiple candidates in the running and actively campaigning.
In the running for one of the most competitive categories, the Director of Sustainability, is Carmen Garcia (Freshman, Psychology) whose experiences with the Warrior Lobby Team inspired her to run for office. 
Garcia says that her time on the Warrior Lobby Team will help her accomplish her primary goal of making campus resources more accessible and known to the student body.
“I learned about how bills are made, policy changes are done, and I actually lobbied with assemblymen and politicians, so it was a big part into, ‘You know what? I want to do something to make a difference,'” Garcia said.
Running for the Director of Student Organizations is Michael Angel (Senior, Liberal Studies), who says his time with the Nu Alpha Kappa Fraternity helped him come out of his shell and gave him the confidence to run to become a student leader.
Angel says that his primary concern will be student engagement, being a student who formerly “clocked in and clocked out” himself without participating in organizations or events before he joined his fraternity.
“I feel like just getting students out there and having them become more aware of the many opportunities Stan State has to offer within their clubs and organizations is going to change their lives for the better here at Stan State,” he said.
Running for the Director of the College of Science is Jonathan Madrigal (Junior, Computer Science), who first had the thought to become a leader when he saw the drought of students attending STEM CRU, a program that offers paid internships to freshmen and transfer students.
“We gotta bring in more students,” Madrigal said, “Encourage them more, in order for them to become more engaged with things that are being offered here.”
Madrigal continued with the example of STEM CRU, which he believes is a pivotal opportunity that other students in the College of Sciences are missing out on.
“You get to work and study at the same time, and they pay you as well, and you get to learn while you’re at it, so it’s like an apprenticeship,” he said.
If you want to support any of these three candidates, the polls close at 6 p.m. today, so be sure to either go to the library in-person or check your email to vote online.