Springing Into Action: Women’s Volleyball Prepares for Home Matches

Maggie Billinglsey (right) assisting in game time warm up. (Photo courtesy of JKettering Photography)

Although prime time for women’s volleyball takes place in the fall, there are a few springtime matchups that are open to the public.

The Warriors will have a home tournament April 19 at noon and a Red vs. White scrimmage on May 2 at 6 p.m. in the Ed and Bertha Fitzpatrick Arena. 

Newly hired assistant coach, Maggie Billingsley, is excited to be a part of her first spring with the girls. 

“I’m very grateful for my job and the opportunity to work with the amazing student athletes in the program,” she says, “I know this is where I’m supposed to be and I can’t wait to continue to grow as an individual and with this intelligent, hardworking group of women!”

Billingsley has coached for other programs in the past as both head and assistant coach, but she really enjoys CSU Stanislaus’ culture. 

“I’ve yet to be a part of a culture like Stan’s. The camaraderie of our program and university as a whole is very unique and I’m so grateful to take part in it,” she says.

Gabby Rawson (senior, Communications) and Mariah Iosua (senior, Communications) are both excited to share those special moments with their team for their last spring season. 

Rawson is looking forward to competing against her teammates in the Red vs. White scrimmage. 

Iosua is also pumped for the intersquad competition because she loves watching how much her teammates have grown. 

“Everyone is getting closer, and I like when we come together as a team,” says Iosua.

In the spring, Billingsley continues to enhance her knowledge of the game and grow as a coach. She sees it as a daily challenge to prepare herself for fall competition.

“Spring has allowed me to celebrate my strengths and enhance my weaknesses,” Billingsley says.

She wants to continue to improve as a coach and build deeper relationships with her student athletes and coaching staff. 

Rawson showed her gratitude for Billingsley as her new coach. 

“I’m very grateful to have her as a coach because of her mindset and drive to push each of us to our potential, while also caring for our well-being,” she says, “She checks up on us frequently, not only physically but also mentally.”

Information on the volleyball team and details about upcoming events can be found on instagram @stanstatevolleyball