New Building Expansion for the Child Development Center at CSU Stanislaus

The Children’s Playground located at the Child Development Center on the CSU Stanislaus campus. (Signal Photo/Jadyn Patterson)

Do you struggle balancing your academics along with taking care of your child? The Child Development Center (CDC) at CSU Stanislaus offers to bring children ages 2 months to 5 years old a great learning experience while you obtain your own education.

Stan State’s Child Development Center (CDC) is a licensed laboratory school located at One University Circle in Turlock, Ca 95382.

Children are able to socialize and make friends in an inclusive environment. It includes programs like educational workshops, resource library, newsletters, and special events.

Faculty Demonstration Teacher Shannon Hernandez defines the CDC’s values as, “Advocacy for children by offering high quality child care.”

Hernandez says one of their main goals is “developing the CDC family culture values and inviting families into the center to talk about their cultures.”

The services are offered to families in the university and local community and are carried out with guidance and supervision from university faculty and students who implement the Center’s instructional programming.

Positive “guidance” techniques (direct and indirect) are used at the CDC to elicit children’s socially appropriate behaviors. These techniques build children’s intrinsic motivation, autonomy, and self-esteem.

“We are a comfortable safe space for them to be,” says Stephanie Smith, the Director of the Child Development Center.

The CDC’s philosophy is derived from developmental research and theory.

The CDC believes that cognitive, social, emotional, and physical development occur naturally in predictable stages often facilitated through a play-based curriculum and activities in a safe, responsive environment. 

The new and improved building is being created for children’s learning development and experiences providing the CDC an opportunity to expand their community.

Families, schools, and the community work together to support children’s optimal development.

“Facilities on our actual site have limited us. The new buildings are two times the classroom size,” says Smith.

The CDC also follows USDA snack guidelines which includes serving items from two of the four food categories. Snack time provides important learning opportunities as children participate in food preparation and family-style dining. 

The CDC can be beneficial in making it easier to obtain an education while raising young children and maintaining a balanced lifestyle.

For more information you can contact the CDC by phone number (209) 667-3036 or email: [email protected]