Lenten Season Begins for Stan State Students

Ash Wednesday was celebrated in the Student Center’s Valley Multi-Use Room. (Signal Photo/Veronica Sexton)

Ash Wednesday sets the tone for students of CSU Stanislaus as the Lenten season begins. 

Kareli Gutierrez (Junior, English) shared what this day of remembrance means to her.

“A lot of people go to church and get put ash on their forehead in the shape of a cross. I think this gives a sense of unity by showing that this is important to many of us,” she said.
Ash Wednesday is a time in which people begin to sacrifice and prepare with the anticipation of celebrating Easter. It’s a day of community and mourning. 
“I love seeing people with ash on their forehead. It’s really amazing,” said Gutierrez.
This day comes from a ceremony of the past. The ashes are made from blessed palms and are christened with holy water. Exposed to incense, the ashes symbolize penance. 
“It brings those that have not been attending Mass consistently back in the pews. So it’s normally on these days that we see the community really come together,” said Ashlyn Soares, a recent liberal studies graduate. 
This is a time to remember and go back to the basics. Ash Wednesday acts as a preparation for the season and helps us to remember how we are called to a disciplined life.
Students on campus celebrated this holy day of obligation in the Student Center’s Valley Multi-Use room 202. 

Confessions were available in the Student Center’s Red Conference room 204 between 12-12:50pm. 
Ana Veloz (Senior, English) shared an experience where getting her ash brought her closer to a stranger. As a nursing student, she found herself working on the day of in order to complete clinical hours. 
“I had gotten my ash at school that day, and then I had to go to the hospital that evening to help see patients,” she said. 
While meeting a patient Veloz explained that she experienced quite a heartfelt connection. 
“The patient saw my ash. I remember her staring. She explained that every year she would get the ash, but this year she wasn’t able to because she was diagnosed with terminal cancer,” she said.
With the short amount of time that the woman had to live, Veloz said she embraced the patient and reminded her that she was never forgotten. 
“This woman was just actively dying, but she knew that God would bring the ash to her. I gave her some of the ash from my forehead, and it was such a beautiful moment,” Veloz said.

Many Catholics celebrate the season by relinquishing a luxury for 40 days. They are supposed give up something important to them as a form of recognizing suffering and goodness.

“Even if you don’t think you can give it up for 40 days, try it; if you fail, it reminds us how we still need God to help pick up our cross,” said Nathan Soares (Junior, Biology).