Man Found Stabbed To Death near Stockton Campus

The corner of North Aurora and East Magnolia, near Stockton Campus’ Aspen Hall, where the homicide victim was found stabbed. (Signal Photo/Gabriela Muro)

Detectives with the Stockton Police Department investigated a weekend homicide on CSU Stanislaus’ Stockton Campus. On Sunday, February 11, 2023, Stockton police officers responded to a report of a person stabbed in the area of North Aurora and East Magnolia Streets at around 1 a.m. 
    “Officers arrived on scene and located a 43-year-old male victim, inside a vehicle, suffering from a stab wound,” said Officer David Scott, a spokesperson for the Stockton Police Department. “Medics arrived and unfortunately pronounced the male victim deceased on scene.”
    The crime was reported to have occurred in an area adjacent to one of the Stockton Campus buildings. 
    At the moment it is unknown if the victim was a Stanislaus State student. The following email warning was sent to students by the University Police Department on Tuesday evening in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Act.
    “THIS TIMELY WARNING BULLETIN IS BEING ISSUED IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE JEANNE CLERY ACT AND THE PURPOSE IS TO PROVIDE PREVENTATIVE INFORMATION TO THE CAMPUS COMMUNITY TO AID MEMBERS FROM BECOMING THE VICTIM OF A SIMILAR CRIME,” it read.
    In response to help further prevent a similar crime, University Police also provided tips on safety and prevention. 
    “Your safety is our top priority at Stanislaus State. Here are some essential prevention tips to help you stay secure on and around campus:
    1. Scan the area before you exit or approach your building or vehicle while you proceed between sites.
    2. Have your key ready in hand to quickly access the door of your building or vehicle. 
    3. Do not prop open doors, thwart security measures or let strangers in.
    4. Stay alert and trust your instincts.
    5. Walk in a group.
    6. Turn down the volume of headphones to enhance awareness of your surroundings.
    7. Report suspicious vehicles and behavior to the police immediately.
    8. Know where the emergency call boxes are on campus and learn how to use them.”
    Students can also request Securitas Security on campus 24-hours a day if needed by motor or foot. Motor Patrol can be contacted at (209) 715-0740, while Foot Patrol’s number is (209) 401-6931.
    In the email provided to students, no information on the suspect was released and states The Stockton Police Department is the lead investigating agency. 
    “The only releasable suspect information at this time is a black male adult,” said Officer Scott. On Monday, Scott said detectives were expected to follow up on reviewing surveillance video from the area to attempt to obtain an identity. He also said the victim did not call 911, however authorities were not prepared to identify the caller.
    University Police ask that suspicious persons, vehicles, or activities on campus are also reported to them at 209-667-3911 or anonymously through StanCares. In case of an emergency students should call 911 or use a Blue Light Phone located on campus. 
    Anyone in need of support due to the incident can contact or visit these on-campus resources: Psychological Counseling Services, (209) 667-3381 Monday-Friday, 8am to 5pm, Victim Advocate, (209) 667-3993, Science 1, Room 234, or the Employee Assistance Provider at Life Matters or (800) 367-7474.
    Anyone with information regarding the homicide is asked to call the Stockton Police Department at 209-937-8377 or Crime Stoppers where callers can remain anonymous at 209-946-0600.