Stan State Track and Field Athletes Recognized as CCAA Athlete of the Week

CCAA filled their feed with Stan State student athletes who won Athlete of the Week titles. (Photo courtesy of the CCAA instagram

As the spring season rolls in, spring sports are in full bloom! Every week, the California Collegiate Athletic Association chooses four athletes from the 12 competing schools to hold the Athlete of the Week title. This week, Stan State’s track and field athletes made headlines by sweeping the titles in their conference.

On Feb. 20, three out of the four chosen athletes were Stan State students.

Ero Doce (graduate student in the Master of Business Administration Program) was titled Men’s Track Athlete of the Week.

Reyna Dismukes (Junior, Exercise Science) was titled Women’s Field Athlete of the Week.

Cole Bailey (Junior, Exercise Science) was titled Men’s Field Athlete of the Week. 

Reyna Dismukes has been perfecting her craft as a long jumper for nine years and the triple jump for four years. Even with all of this experience, Dismukes talks about how this achievement was a surprise to her.

“I was surprised at being given the title. I was not expecting it. I didn’t find out I was chosen until one of my friends reposted it, and I saw it. This accomplishment means a lot to me,” Dismukes said.

Cole Bailey is still new to the throwing events as this is his first year competing as a designated thrower. His past experience consisted of being a Decathlete at Modesto Junior College. With him still in his early years of competition, this achievement uplifted him on a personal level. 

“This accomplishment means a lot to me and is a confidence booster for my training. I joined the throws program knowing that I was not going to be the guy with the furthest marks, and I don’t need to be! But my biggest goal is to be a contributor to the team and get points where I can grab them, and I think this award proves to myself that I actually can contribute to the Stan State Track and Field team,” Bailey said.
Ero Doce has been running competitively since he was 10 years old. With this experience, he felt he was likely to receive this title. 

“I was not surprised to get athlete of the week since most schools in the CCAA had not opened up their season—it was going to be unlikely for any other athlete in the conference to run faster than 3:47 (for the 1500m race) in their season opener,” Doce said.

Dismukes also shed light on how this accomplishment proved things to herself as a student athlete juggling school and two sports. 

“This accomplishment means a lot to me as I’m changing a lot of things this year as well as having to split my time between both soccer and track,” she said. “It proved to me that I can do both and not have to choose one over the other.”

With this accomplishment, there are still many goals these athletes have their hearts set on for this outdoor season, whether it be technicalities in their performances or exceeding personal records.

“PR’s (personal records) are always fun milestones to get throughout the season, and we are constantly adjusting or building on our techniques to throw even further, but I think I’m most excited to just compete in something new and to learn from others that have been in the event longer than I have,” Bailey said.

“I’m changing a few things for my jumps,” Dismukes said. “I’m changing how I move my arms in the triple jump as well as adding more steps to both my jumps. I’m also working a lot on my technique this year, so I’m excited to see that transfer over to my jumps and how that changes the way I jump.” 

These accomplishments are not only personal but also team building. Doce explains how he wants to not only better his own performances but also see his teammates better theirs.
“This season we are looking forward to competing among the best athletes in the NCAA, not just myself but the whole team,” Doce said. “We are aware that to get to that level we must dominate within our conference, and it is exciting to see my teammates rising up to the occasion, getting better week by week.”

When it comes to achieving these personal goals and mastering techniques, these athletes need guidance. All three of them have expressed how their relationships with their coaches has made this process possible.

The track and field program at Stan State values their athletes and prioritizes having a healthy, resourceful environment for their athletes.  

“Stan State’s track program is amazing. I transferred here from a different four year and the coaching is very different. I feel like Stan is more interactive with me as an athlete as well as having more resources available to me if I need it,” Dismukes said.

Dismukes was not alone in feeling that transferring to Stanislaus State has been nothing but positive. 

“I had no doubt that transferring to Stan State was the right move and training under Coach Holman and Coach Heiner has been nothing short of amazing,” Doce said. “It is awesome to be a part of this project and what they are building.”

With each athlete playing their part, they have built a team dynamic that gives them the confidence to show their conference what they are capable of.