Leaving an Impact: Alumni Bricks Highlight Student Legacy

hero-image-brick-graphic
graphic by mark coggins
hero-image-brick-graphic

CSU Stanislaus alumni have a unique opportunity to leave their mark on campus with personalized bricks that will be installed in the Alumni Plaza.

The project, Alumni Brick Opportunity 2023, is a fundraising initiative facilitated by the University Student Center (SC) that aims to enhance campus pride and honor the achievements of former students.
Following a successful first phase, the project enters its second phase, with additional spaces now available for students to participate. This project builds upon the efforts that began in 2020 when Stan State celebrated its 60th anniversary with the unveiling of the new University Student Center and Alumni Plaza.
Melannie Castellanos, SC Events Coordinator, encapsulates the significance of these bricks, stating that they offer individuals a chance to “etch their name in the history of Stanislaus State.” The first phase of brick installation concluded in October 2022, in time for the memorable Homecoming Week.

The legacy bricks are a source of pride for some alumni and a source of confusion for others.

Laura Plascencia, a biology degree graduate, is one of the latter. Plascencia liked the concept of the legacy bricks and how they appeared to honor the individuals who have contributed to Stanislaus State’s history. However, she stated she was initially unaware of the criteria for getting a brick and assumed it was based on “achievements, involvement, or association with the university.”

She expressed her disagreement with the idea of sponsoring the legacy bricks.

“Having to pay for this is not equitable,” Plascencia said. 

In contrast, 2023 fine arts graduate Ilyssa Chavez, who won her brick in a Student Government raffle, appreciates the symbolism behind the legacy bricks. For hers, Chavez chose the Warrior Head logo to highlight mascot pride. Chavez said she likes how the bricks remind her of her time at Stan State.

“I made a lot of memories within the BFA program and I like that I am able to walk past the Student Center and see my name engraved,” she said.

Chavez also thinks the legacy bricks help foster a sense of community and connection among current students and alumni, especially if they include their majors or affiliations. “It shows our time here in Stan State and reminds me of how much the Student Center impacted my undergrad years.”

The alumni bricks can be personalized in several ways, with options for custom colors, designs, and engravings. Each brick can fit up to three lines with 17 maximum characters per line, and can include one of three logos: the Warrior Head Graphic, Stan State Shield, or the Warrior Athletics “S” Logo.

Castellanos suggests another way that Stan State alumni can showcase their talents and achievements is by participating in the Student-Centered Art Competition and Showcase

This is a new opportunity that invites current students to submit their original artworks for a chance to be purchased and displayed in the University Student Center.

The artworks can be in any medium, such as painting, photography, sculpture or digital art, as long as they meet the rules and criteria of the competition.

The deadline for submissions is April 12, 2023. The showcase event will take place on May 1, 2023 at the Event Center in the Student Center building.

The cost of each Alumni Brick is $209, which represents the area code of Stanislaus County and reflects the university’s commitment to serving the region. The proceeds from the brick sales will support various programs and services for alumni and students.

The deadline to purchase a brick is July 1, 2023, but spaces are limited. To purchase a brick or learn more about the project, visit their website.