Stan Musicians Discuss Their Creative Processes

Photo courtesy Matthew D. Long

Students from CSU Stanislaus have revealed that composing music is a journey with a number of routes, either disciplined and measured or spontaneous and improvisational.

The music department here at Stan has trained students to be collaborative and skilled performers. 
These musicians over the course of their tale, demonstrate that musicians are critical thinkers, who value expression. Artists can express themselves working with instruments or with electronics. 
Matthew D. Long (Music, Senior) explains his music composition process. Long states that it changes depending on why he is writing a piece. He sits at the piano and plays the music in mind.
Long shares, “I will then create a basic sketch of the music by hand, trying out different harmonies and ideas until I have something I like. I then move to a computer to type up the score.” 
This is where Long finalizes his harmonic and orchestration decisions. 
Rick Ortega (Junior, Music) says that his first experience with music was when he was in 6th grade, beginning with a band where he played the trumpet. 
Ortega says, “My songwriting or composition process is very slow. I have to really think about what harmony goes with the melodic ideas I come up with.” 
Like Ortega, Samantha Alipio (Senior, Music) grew up with music. She learned how to read with karaoke and her parents enrolled her in piano lessons when she was little.
In contrast, Alipio works with an electronic called a digital audio workstation. She explains, “Improvisation is definitely a huge help! I’m free to do whatever I want musically for a certain time and I can record it and see if there are any ideas I can use to build off of.”
 “Opportunity is everywhere if you know where to find it,” adds Long. Attending Stan, he has been able to write for student groups, a few professional musicians, and various other groups. 
Long states, “I have had the opportunity to learn from some of the greatest musicians in the area, and have been able to try things that I wouldn’t be able to anywhere else.” 
Ortega says, “As an artist Stan has provided many opportunities to study with world-class musicians like guitarist Ami Inoi or Neil Levonius, a lead trumpet player.”
Alipio mentions that taking a class can sometimes be the first step of many. She took Intro to Music Technology when she transferred with Professor Dahman. 
Alipio always enjoyed making music but claims she didn’t know how.
She shares, “Through the classes, I was able to get a better insight into how much work it truly takes to bring a song out from context and into the world.”
Professors of the Music department encourage students to be sensitive musicians ready for multiple vocational contexts. 
Long says, “A professor that has made a significant impact on me would be Dr. Sarah Chan. She has shown me several new ways to think about, listen to, and analyze music.” 
Ortega adds to his learning experience from Dr. Sarah Chan by stating, “She inspires and encourages me through her leadership skills and knowledge which pushes me to exceed just like she does.” 
These artists have developed skills while being a part of a unique educational environment.  
Alipio concludes by sharing a piece of advice she was told when starting as a new musician. 

She says, “Keep going and see where it leads you.”