Eco Warriors’ Clothing Swap Continues to Grow

Eco Warriors Club president, Anahi Lopez (third year, Business Administration) and fellow club member, Bonnie Arbuckle (senior, Liberal Studies) posing together in Clothing Swap booth at Warrior Wednesday 

On April 12th, 2023, Stan State’s Eco Warriors Club held their annual Clothing Swap during Warrior Wednesday in the quad. 
At the Clothing Swap, students are able to donate as many clothing items as they want and in return, they can pick out items others have donated if they are interested. 
If students do not choose to donate anything to the Clothing Swap, they may purchase any article of clothing for $2 each. The Clothing swap allows students to participate in sustainability to help the environment and reduce carbon footprint.
President of the Eco Warriors Club, Anahi Lopez (third year, Business administration) acknowledged the positive impacts the Clothing Swap can have on the environment and also explained how the Clothing Swap can help provide resources for Stan State students’ needs.
“I would say basic needs are always needed on campus. Having a clothing swap isn’t something that campus has at the moment. So being able to have this event and give students the opportunity to come get a clothing item and swap for another or even pay $2 for any piece of clothing, like no matter what it is, it helps students,” said Lopez.
Lopez also believes that student participation in this event can build leadership and community service skills. 
“You gain from whatever way you choose to provide for the event, rather it be volunteering, you’re able to get that experience and get that community service of helping our campus. And then, if you’re someone who donates or just wants to bring by stuff, that’s great. You’re supporting students and supporting the clothing swap to grow,” explained Lopez.
Eco Warriors member, Bonnie Arbuckle (senior, Liberal Studies), also thinks events like the Clothing Swap are important to hold on campus to bring awareness of sustainability.
She believes bringing awareness of reusing clothes is important so that they do not end up in landfills. 
“I think when people realize that thrifting items is good, then they’ll do it more. I do it myself heavily at home and I also sell used clothing on Poshmark,” said Arbuckle.
“It’s a way of doing your part for sustainability,” she added.
The Eco Warriors first founded the Clothing Swap in 2019, and since the event began, it has grown significantly.
Lopez is thankful for how much it has grown and recognizes that there are now a lot more members of the club along with a growing amount of support.
Social media has been a powerful tool in widening interest in the event. 
Because of this, a lot more people are aware of what the clothing swap is, how it works, and when it occurs. 
“We are satisfied with how it’s going, but we do know that there’s a lot of growth and we would love to expand this and make this something more permanent on campus, even have a room on campus where students can come and do that clothing swap,” said Lopez.
Arbuckle is also satisfied with the success of the Clothing Swap and how busy it was on April 12th.
“This year, it seems like we have a lot more traffic. A lot of people have brought stuff in to swap, so it’s a lot of fun,” said Arbuckle.
Arbuckle was also asked about her memorable experiences of participating in the Clothing Swap.
“It’s just fun working together with everyone here. It’s a really positive experience,” she said.
Lopez also reminisced on her favorite memories as one of the organizers of the Clothing Swap.
Her first time being involved with organizing the Clothing swap was in the Spring 2021 semester.
“The first clothing swap that I helped out with there was only 2 or 3 of us setting up, but we had so much fun and there were so many students here. We couldn’t be more happy.” 
Kathia Diaz (third year, Liberal Studies), attended the April 12th Clothing Swap and had a great time.
Diaz and her friends planned on going to the event since it seemed interesting and she had never been to it before. 
Diaz believes that events like the Clothing Swap are important to hold on campus because they help students get involved.
“It’s great for us as students, prices nowadays are really expensive, so this event on top of other events that they hold, it’s pretty good,” said Diaz.
Diaz also said she would definitely come to Clothing swaps again in the future and reccomends the event to other students.
Check out @ecowarriors_csustan to stay up to date with upcoming Eco Warrior Club events.