Spring Semester Entertainment Survey: Students Share Their Favorites

@CSUSignal on Instagram. Graphic by Mark Coggins.

Springtime offers an array of new bingeworthy viewing offerings, many of which are consumed during spring break and well into the summer. A time for relaxation, fun, and entertainment for many students at CSU Stanislaus, that means catching up on their favorite shows and movies, or discovering new ones in their downtime.

The Signal conducted a survey via the @csu_signal Instagram account and interviewed some students to find out their go-to picks in their free time.

Most Anticipated Spring 2023 Show

The Last of Us, the HBO adaptation of the popular video game series, was the clear winner of this category, with 42% of the votes.

The show, which follows the journey of two survivors in a post-apocalyptic world, has received critical acclaim for its gripping story and performances.

The Last of Us was one of the most anticipated and acclaimed shows of the year, with a 96% average Tomatometer score on Rotten Tomatoes and rave reviews from critics and fans alike.

It is not surprising that CSU Stanislaus students were drawn to its compelling and emotional story, which resonated with the many viewers that had played the original iteration in 2013

The Mandalorian Season 3, the Star Wars spin-off series on Disney+, came in second with 27% of the votes, followed by Ted Lasso Season 3, the comedy series about an American football coach in England, with 21%. Succession Season 4, the drama series about a media mogul and his family, got the least votes with 10%.

Carlos Palmeno (junior, Creative Media) spoke about why he liked The Last of Us. He was already a fan of the co-creator’s work directing Chernoybl.

“It’s one of my favorite shows, so I watched that immediately after,” Palmeno said. 

When inquired whether he was familiar with the games, Palmeno related to many of us when admitting he had never played The Last of Us video games himself, but he had watched others online play them.

The Mandalorian and Ted Lasso were also popular choices among students who enjoyed action and humor, respectively.

The newest season of Succession, at least in this match-up, seemed to have less appeal among students despite the series’ otherwise stellar track record among critics.

Best Spring 2023 Action

When it came to action-packed entertainment, John Wick: Chapter 4 was the overwhelming favorite, with 66% of the votes.

The fourth installment of the franchise starring Keanu Reeves as a retired assassin who seeks revenge for his dog’s death was a hit among fans and critics alike.

The second choice, The Mandalorian, came in at 34% of student votes.

John Wick 4 was another blockbuster success of the year, with a 94% average Tomatometer score on Rotten Tomatoes and 93% positive feedback from audiences who praised its thrilling and stylish action sequences.

CSU Stanislaus students seemed to share this enthusiasm for the film, which offered them an adrenaline rush and a dose of escapism.

The Mandalorian was also a strong contender for best action viewing, with its impressive visuals and the latest season’s engaging space-fighting for the claim of Mandalore.

Owen Miller (senior, Communication Studies) said he enjoyed both John Wick 4 and The Mandalorian during spring break, but John Wick came out on top as his favorite of the year.

“John Wick is just awesome and the action scenes are just crazy,” said Miller. “The Mandalorian is also great, I like the story and the characters.”

Best Spring 2023 Game Adaptation

2023 was a big year for video game adaptations, an entertainment genre which had a reputation of terrible movies that confused audiences and deviated much from its original material.

In our student poll, The Last of Us once again dominated its category, with 60% of the votes.

The show beat out the Super Mario Bros Movie, which got 40% of the votes. The animated film based on the iconic video game characters featured an all-star voice cast, including Chris Pratt as Mario and Jack Black as Bowser.

The Last of Us proved to be one of the best video game adaptations ever made, with its faithful and nuanced portrayal of its source material. It also appealed to viewers who had not played the games but were intrigued by its premise and characters.

The Super Mario Bros Movie was a more lighthearted and fun adaptation that catered to fans of the classic games and new generations alike.

Stan State students showed their preference for both types of adaptations, depending on their mood and taste.

Andre Davis (senior, Psychology), who works a busy retail job, said he loved the Super Mario Bros Movie and watched it with his partner despite his busy schedule.

“The Mario movie was my favorite thing I watched over spring break,” Davis said. “It was so nostalgic and made me feel good. I grew up playing Mario games and I loved seeing them come to life on screen.”

While students relished the recent adaptations, they also shared their dream video game-to-screen projects.

Palmeno expressed interest in a Mega Man movie.

“I think that would be pretty cool,” he said. “I’m a huge Mega Man fan, so I think that would be awesome.”

Miller mentioned that he would love to see Red Dead Redemption 2 brought to life in a show or movie.

Meanwhile, Davis has his sights set on two classic Nintendo games.

“I would love to see a Legend of Zelda film or a Kid Icarus movie,” he said. “Those were some of my favorite Nintendo games growing up, so I’d love for them to get recognition.”

Favorite Streaming Service

Netflix was the preferred streaming service among students polled, with 41% of the votes.

Despite the fierce competition, the original streaming giant continues to offer an enticing variety of content with favorites such as Stranger Things and Cyberpunk Edgerunners.

HBO Max and Disney+ were also favored by students who enjoyed their exclusive and high-quality content, such as The Last of Us and The Mandalorian.

HBO Max came in second with 31% of the votes, followed by Disney+ with 14%. Other premium streaming services, of which there are too many, got 14% of the votes.

Go-To Comfort Show

The Office was the most popular comfort show during spring break, with 48% of the votes.

The mockumentary series about a dysfunctional workplace has been a staple for many viewers who enjoy its humor and relatability.

Friends came in second with 32% of the votes.

The Office and Friends were the go-to comfort shows for Stan State students during spring break, as the classic shows provided them with laughter and nostalgia.

Both have been widely watched and loved by many, and they have a loyal fan base. Law and Order and Scrubs were also chosen by some students who preferred drama in their binge-watching routine.

With spring break behind us and summer break almost here, these shows and movies offer a welcome escape from academic stress.

The diverse range of entertainment available caters to a variety of preferences, ensuring that everyone at Stan State has something to enjoy during their downtime.