Students’ Viewpoint of Alcohol at CSU Stanislaus

Video by Alex Ramirez

Since the fall semester of 2022. The Stanislaus University Police Department has reported 30 alcohol-related incidents. The campus is not considered a “dry” campus, but alcohol is sold at the Warrior Grill, and policies extend to the dorms.

According to Stan State alcohol and policy guidelines:

“When alcohol consumption is allowed, the University ensures that abstinence is accepted and excessive use is discouraged”.

The Warrior Grill offers a variety of alcohol, but is limited to selling two per customer. In addition, alcohol must be hidden when transported from one place to another. Some students are aware of these policies, but others are not. 

“No, we haven’t been told anything relevant when it comes to that. As far as I know, we might like it. All I know is about the coffee in the village, which is the most you have at the Warrior Grill. We can only have two drinks at a time. And that’s it.” Said Alejandro Pasqua (Sophomore, Business Administration).

The Warrior Grill provides a variety of alcohol, but I asked student if it’s enough.

“Yeah. I mean, for some people maybe not, you know, but I think it is for me. Yeah.” Said Erica Morales (Senior, Business Administration).

Some colleges build a reputation of being a “wet” campus. This is an unlikely situation for Stan State. Students would rather that not be the truth.

“I think it should be something that we should be known for.. because it’s not.” Said Mark Briones (Junior, English).

Students seems to be less focused on what alcohol provides. Rather, the environment in which it can support. Not all students are motivated to drink on campus. But students can count on better education of university policies.

Here are some helpful resources related to alcohol and UPD incident reports: