Golden Eagles Claw Their Way Over The Warriors

On Friday night in Turlock, CSU Stanislaus fell short to their southern California foe. Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles stole three out of four sets from the Warriors. 
The game leaders from Friday night’s game were Ellison Weaver, Mariah Iosua, Samaya Royal, and Alex Byrd, who in total had 27 Kills, 2 Aces, and 11 Blocks. Delivering a total of 26 Assists were Haley Burdo, Mariah Iosua, Ellison Weaver, and Gabby Rawson.
First Set
This first set had a lot of action going on from both sides of the net. When the first timeout was called from the Golden Eagles it was tied 8-8. Ellison Weaver made a kill to get the Warriors back into the set. Yet, the Golden Eagles would go on and add more unanswered points to take the first set from the Warriors.
The final score for the first set was 18-25.
Second Set
The second set was by far the biggest nail biter of the night. The Warriors would come out hot and quickly take the lead until the Eagles swooped in and took it away from them. Throughout the match, the Warriors would trail by one from the rest of the set.
The set point was at 23-24 but the Warriors decided they weren’t going down without a fight and fought back to win the set by 31-29.
Third Set
Just like the set before, both teams went back and forth until the Eagles quickly took the lead. The Eagles were finding all of the holes left open by the Warriors that would increase the score of the game. The Warriors fell to a 12-20 deficit with the help of more kills.
The final score of this set 25-16 Eagles and they would take the lead of the sets 2-1.
Fourth Set
During the beginning of the set the Warriors came out fighting taking a quick 7-3 lead. This set alone would be a heated battle from both sides of the net causing the score to flip after every serve. Alex Byrd would continue to stack up her block count and allow the Warriors to go up 13-9. Towards the end of the set the Warriors had the lead at 23-22, but the Eagles would fly away with the set at 25-23.
This would end the match giving Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles the win at 3-1.
A Few Words From Our Players
The Warriors’ Mariah Iosua (Junior/Psychology) and Samaya Royal (Senior/Public Health Promotion) had uplifting words after their lost to the Golden Eagles.
“It comes down to heart and all our teammates just working together to fight but it was a great fight LA did what they had to do,” Iosua said.
On the other hand, with Samaya Royal’s last game at home a few hours away, this what she said to say about the second set.
“Our coaches told us to play for the girl next to you, you have nothing to lose,” Royal said.
With a good attitude moving forward hopefully the Warriors can get a win for the Seniors.
Finale Home Game
Stan State will host the final game of their regular season at the Fitzpatrick Arena against Cal State Dominguez Hills. Stan State will honor their two Seniors, Eyriana Eatmon and Samaya Royal, before the 2 p.m. game.