Stan State Women’s Basketball Finishes 1-1 in the 2023 Warrior Classic

A Warriors player going for the layup. (Signal Photo/Brian Miske)

On Friday Night in Turlock, CA at the Fitz Arena, the Stan State Warriors took on the Academy of Arts Urban Knights, which ended in a Warriors victory.
They would also fall to the Simon Fraser Red Leafs in the second game of the tournament.
The four Warriors who were the leading scorers were Mya Blake, Lyric Richardson, Jadyn Patterson, and Iman Addison.
Combined they scored 50 points to secure their victory 84-65.
Game 1: CSU Stanislaus v. Academy of Art
First Quarter:
The Urban Knights quickly took the lead and held it through most of the quarter.
Towards the middle of the quarter, the Warriors fell to 13-9.
Even though the Warriors were falling behind, #10 Mya Blake came out with the most points scored. The Warriors would end the first quarter behind 18-16. 
Second Quarter:
The Warriors started this quarter hot, gaining their first led of the night at 25-21.
Mya Blake stole the ball from the Urban Knights to go all the way down the court for a lay up to continue their lead.
Urban Knights kept trying to fight from behind but the Warriors weren’t backing down and continued pushing their lead. The Stan State Warriors would lead going into the half at 40-34.
Third Quarter:
Once again the Warriors would take the lead at 45-34. The Urban Knights were doing everything in their power to make a comeback.
Later on in the quarter, the Knights would cut down the Warriors’ lead to 10 points but the Warriors would continue to score.
Stan State would continue to lead going into the fourth quarter at 58-49.
Fourth Quarter:
The Warriors would add 10 more points coming out of the third quarter that would lead Stan State to run away with the victory.
The Warriors’ score would continue to climb due to some important passes from Ashmeen Sran.
The final score of the game was 84-65, leading to a Warrior victory. 
Game 2: CSU Stanislaus v. Simon Fraser
First Quarter
The beginning of the quarter was a back and forth until Simon Fraser took the lead at 10-9.
The Red Leafs would continue to score against the Warriors with the score becoming 16-9. Stan State would add to the score with two free throws from Liliana Marques making it 17-12.
Second Quarter
Simon Fraser would continue to lead over the Warriors. The score would climb to 19-12 with two free throws from the Red Leafs.
Stan State would make a come back due to a jumper from Mya Blake, which brought the Warriors back to 21-20.
The Warriors would give 17 unanswered points to the Red Leafs while the Red Leafs would only allow 5 more points for the Warriors.
The final score of the second quarter would be 38-25 in favor of Simon Fraser.
Third Quarter
Stan State would continue to try to make a comeback but Simon Fraser had other plans for the Warriors.
The Warriors were fighting back to stay in the game, and with steal from Iman Addison the score was brought to 50-45.
Stan State would have to continue to fight from behind at went into last quarter at 57-50. 
Fourth Quarter
To begin the fourth quarter Stan State would be behind by five points at 57-52.
The Red Leafs would score 21 unanswered points on the Warriors and only allow them to score 5 more.
The Warriors’ final points came from two free throws by Alexis Woodson.
This would lead to the Warriors’ defeat with a final score of 78-59.
Mya Blake (Junior, Psychology), one of the guards on the team, commented on their performance, saying that they were lacking in rebounding as well as missing easy shots.
Blake continued to say that they let the other team dictate the tempo of the game and that they have a couple things to work on before their next game.
Upcoming Games:
Stan State will head to Hawaii to face NAIA Eastern Oregon this Friday, Nov. 24, and Northwestern Oklahoma State on Saturday Nov. 25.