Stan State Recognizes National Student Employment Week

Student employees gathered for a group photo on April 4. (Courtesy of Human Resources, Photographed by Joshua Hanks)

For the first time, Stan State’s Human Resources and Career Services departments are working together to acknowledge National Student Employment Week April 8 – April 12 by sending student employees letters of appreciation and giving away prizes.
According to the National Student Employment Association (NESA), the week is designed to celebrate and recognize student employees at colleges and universities across the nation.
“Student employees perform invaluable services with enthusiasm, dedication, and initiative,” reads NESA’s site. “Setting aside a special week to draw the awareness of others, both on and off campus, is the perfect opportunity to show your appreciation.”
Stan State currently employs 826 student assistants. When Michaela Dole, Human Resources’ Talent Acquisition and Employment Coordinator, heard about NESA Week, she knew it was an important chance for the campus to show its appreciation for these students.
“It’s a time for campuses to really thank their student employees,” said Dole. “I know with staff we have the picnic, faculty have their award. There’s nothing really to thank our student employees.”
Dole said that student assistants are a crucial part of keeping operations at Stan State running smoothly by helping with tasks that faculty and staff may not have time for, such as filing or answering phones and emails.
“A lot of students may not see filing as a big deal, but in our department we’re so paper heavy at the moment, we need somebody to do that,” Dole said. “Otherwise, we just have stacks and stacks of paper, and we’re not properly doing anything and we don’t know where anything is.”
Areli Ortiz, who has worked as Human Resources’ Talent Acquisition and Employment Assistant since last November, said that working with student assistants has been a rewarding part of her role at Stan State.
“It’s very exciting to be a part of the transformation that our student employees go through by allowing them the opportunity to apply and practice the knowledge and skills they are being taught in the classroom and become experienced professionals,” said Ortiz. “Their contributions allow us to provide quality customer service to the entire campus.”
To recognize NESA Week, the Human Resources department printed and mailed letters to all 826 student assistants across campus thanking them for their contribution to the Stan State community.
Alex Lazar (junior, Business Administration), a student employee in Human Resources, was tasked with folding the over 800 letters, putting them in envelopes, and labeling them so they can be sent out to each department.
“It’s simple but honest work!” said Lazar, who said he appreciates the campus’ recognition of student work. “I think it’s really cool that they’re doing that. It makes you feel a little special,” he said.
Student employees received the letters this week.
Dole explained that supervisors will also get a copy of the letters, and another copy will be added to each student’s individual campus personnel file with the intention that former student employees applying to on-campus staff positions will have the letter to add to their application.
During NESA Week, students will be able to take their letter to Career Services and spin a prize wheel. Prizes include Stan State gear, like water bottles, as well as a resume building “pack” that includes a how-to on writing a resume and quality resume paper.
Dole hopes to see NESA Week celebrated annually from now on. If this year’s response is positive, she said, future celebrations may include different events and prizes each day of the week.
“We’re excited,” said Dole. “We hope to do this every year.”