ASI Discusses Health and Wellness Service Modifications, Changes to Warrior Wednesdays, and Remaining Board Vacancies at Latest Meeting

Graphic by Samantha Tonarelli.

Stanislaus State’s student government met for the sixth time in the semester on November 2. The meeting included updates regarding the Student Health Center building closing for the remainder of the fall semester, discussions about student mental health, announcements regarding Warrior Wednesdays and reminders of open ASI positions.

Student Health Center Update:

During the open forum, Dr. Christine Erickson, Vice President for Student Affairs, stated that the Student Health Center Building will be closed from November 8 to January 18.

While the building will be closed, there will continue to be tele-health service available during that time and an after hours care line available for students who wish to talk to a registered nurse during weekends and evenings.

Erickson explained that prescription services through the health center will also be impacted by the building, and that students are in the process of being contacted so that substitute servicing can be sorted out

“They are reaching out ahead of time to students with prescriptions to do 90 day or 120 day refills for people who need maintenance medications,” Erickson assured.

Presentation by the Psychological Counseling Services:

Clinical Counselor Susan Brumm joined the meeting to give a presentation regarding the services provided to students by the Psychological Counseling Services as much of the campus community deals with midterms and prepare for upcoming finals and other exams.

Many students go to these services when dealing with depression, anxiety, abuse, family relationships, sexuality, grief or trouble dealing with stress. The services are available to all students, and trained professionals are ready to assist in whatever way the student needs. Psychological Counseling is available Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is closed from 12 to 1 p.m. for lunch. 

The phone number for this service is (209) 667-3381 and students must press 2 when prompted if they are using this number outside of the business hours to be connected with a crisis counselor. Appointments, once scheduled with the phone call, can be accessed via the My Health portal located on the Student Health Center website. TAO Connect is a self-help app which is available to everyone in the university.

The free services include individual counseling, couples counseling, therapy and support groups, wellness workshops, outreach to clubs and classes and departments. All of these services are currently on Zoom, but there is a space within the building for students to have a Zoom appointment. For couple counseling, both people in the couple must be Stanislaus State students.  also includes walk-in crisis hours from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. if the student requires same day assistance. 

Workshops and groups include topics such as self-compassion, body positivity, managing emotions, and depression recovery through art. The Stanislaus State event calendar is where additional information on these workshops may be found. 

Warrior Wednesdays: 

Warrior Wednesdays are continuing in the fall semester, but the activities will alternate from virtual to on campus activities every other week. If a week has on campus activities, then the next week will have virtual activities. The idea of Warrior Wednesdays remains the same: wear red and participate in activities. 

No explanation was given as to why this decision was made.

Available Positions:

There are openings for a number of ASI board member positions, including Director for Athletics that is available to student athletes, as representatives for the schools of Education, Kinesiology and Social Work. There are also other positions open for those is interested in sustainability. The board is still accepting applications for all of these positions.