Letter to the Editor: Workplace Democracy

The article by Michael Days, “OPINION: How Americans Could Benefit From Workplace Democracy,” provides a rather simplistic view of worker cooperatives. Workplace democracy is not a cure-all for the ills of capitalism, it is just one model of democracy which provides a form of worker ownership. It does not address the power dynamics between owners and employees, the profit motive, the impact of automation, or the ways in which employees are exploited.
It is clear that Michael Days has not thoroughly researched the negative consequences of a workplace democracy. For one, there is no guarantee that the employees would make good decisions on behalf of the company. A company is not a democracy; it is a hierarchy. There must be some authority to make decisions, otherwise there is no company.
Secondly, the employees would not be able to make decisions in their best interest. This is because the company is not their only priority. They need to put food on the table for their families, which will always take precedence. This is important to address, but their bias extends beyond the employer bias.
Lastly, Michael Days underestimates the importance of the free market economy. It is the best way to incentivize productivity while also providing some stability for employees. I do appreciate the publication of this article as it incentivizes and invites discussion regarding this very important topic in modern society.