Greg Jacquay: The Voice of Stanislaus State

Photo courtesy of Dr. Greg Jacquay, general manager of Stanislaus State’s KCSS 91.9 FM. 

“You are listening to 91.9 KCSS Turlock, the Valley’s True Alternative!”

That is the phrase you may have heard if you’ve ever changed your radio to 91.9 FM, but who is the man behind the airwaves? That would be Dr. Greg Jacquay.   

Dr. Greg Jacquay is the general manager of KCSS and professor at Stanislaus State. 91.9 FM KCSS is the non-commercial, student-run radio station based on campus. He has been a part of the station since 1993 as an undergraduate student and has been general manager since 1998. 

Jacquay detailed that his love for radio began when he was a kid living in Los Angeles. He explained, “It is something that I always wanted to do. Growing up in L.A., I’d listen to the radio and hear KROQ (106.7FM) … I always enjoyed listening to new music.” 

Jacquay is an alumnus of Stans State. His first year as a student was 1991 and he started working at the station shortly after that. 

“Since I graduated [in 1996], I have been teaching… I just had my 25 years this year,” Jacquay explained. “It’s something that is still fun to do and still rewarding after 25 years… I find it renewing, every year is different.”  

Jacquay is a professor for multiple Communication Studies courses on campus. Some of these include Introduction to Mass Media, Public Speaking, and Radio Production Laboratory.   

The Radio Production Lab serves as two courses and can be repeated for up to 6 units. Students can even receive an opportunity to become an intern or earn a paid position at the station. 

COMM 3112 (Radio Production Lab) is your ticket to getting on the air,” Dr. Jacquay explained.  

Students who take Radio Production Lab get the hands-on experience of being a part of the radio station. RJ Santa Ana (junior, Communication Studies) is a former student of Jacquay’s and currently interns for KCSS.  

“When I took the Radio Production Lab, I saw how engaging and interested he was with students. It made me realize he could possibly help me morph into the radio personality I want to be,” Santa Ana said. “He pushes me to branch outside of what I’m comfortable doing right now and what I could do.”  

Rob Van Tuinen (junior, Communication Studies) is one of the music directors at KCSS and another of Jacquay’s former students. Van Tuinen continually expressed how supportive and encouraging Jacquay is as a professor and general manager of the station.  

“If someone has an idea, Greg wants to develop it,” Van Tuinen said. “I’ve talked about wanting to do graphic design or make videos and he would tell me, ‘Then do it. Just do it’… that’s a great attitude to have. He does a great job in pushing people to do the things he knows they can do.”   

Jacquay takes pride in staying behind the scenes and letting students be at the forefront of the station. He explained that his favorite accomplishments as a professor and general manager of the station are seeing the people around him succeed.  

“My accomplishment is watching other people gain experience… it’s watching a student get a job, that’s rewarding for me. I feel accomplished when I see others become successful,” he said.

Even though Jacquay prefers to be behind the scenes, he encourages students to take pride in using their voice. For students who may be interested in Communication Studies, he wants them to step out of their comfort zone.  

“There’s a lot of apprehension for Communication Studies because people think it’s only public speaking and talking to crowds,” explained Jacquay. He assures that there are plenty of opportunities in Communication Studies for students who prefer to stay behind the scenes. 

“Growing up, I used to be very reserved and had a hard time feeling like I had a voice. It wasn’t until I got on the mic when I found another part of me,” he continued.

Jacquay acknowledges that getting over that anxiety is doable. “Taking that first step is hard, you just have to get out and do it.”

For those who may be interested in being a part of KCSS, Jacquay encourages you to stop by the station and ask questions. Students interested can also register for COMM 3112 (Radio Production Lab) and get the hands-on experience of being involved with the station. KCSS is in room 124 of the Demergasso-Bava Hall building.   

Jacquay wants everyone to remember, “Even at your peak, there is always going to be something to learn.”