The Haunting of Netflix

The Haunting of Hill House (Courtesy of Netflix).

Looking for a spooky binge watch on Halloween night? These two original Netflix series are sure to give you a thrilling night. Both The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor, directed by Mike Flanagan, are supernatural/drama series filled with chilling twists and turns that will spice up your Halloween night.

The Haunting of Hill House 

Released two years ago on Netflix, The Haunting of Hill House is a supernatural drama series focusing on a family who come across paranormal occurrences in the property of Hill House. 

The series switches between the past and present events of the characters and how deeply affected and terrified they are from their experiences with Hill House. 

Each episode takes the audience into a look at each member of the Crain family, and which part of the house haunts them the most. 

Jackie Cervantes, (junior, Theatre Major) finds the “themes of family and love go perfectly with the nature of the house,” and that some people might even find the story “hits close to home.” 

Viewers may find they identify with the characters, which is “why it’s so terrifying,” Cervantes adds. 

The ten episode series builds up to the defining moment of what led the family to finally move out of house. 

Emotional, intense and chilling, The Haunting of Hill House is a perfect choice for a Halloween binge watch, and a good start to starting the Haunting Anthology series on Netflix. 

The Haunting of Bly Manor  

This October, the anthology continues with The Haunting of Bly Manor. The viewers are taken into a new haunted house with a darker story connected to it. 

This time following the character of Dani Clayton, played by Victoria Pedretti, who also played the character Nell in Hill House. 

Dani is hired to look after the Wingrave children who live in Bly Manor, Miles (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) and Flora (Amelie Bea Smith).

Soon Dani discovers something sinister from the past still lingers in the mansion, threatening the lives of the Wingrave family, and those who help in the house. 

This series is not directly connected to Hill House, and can be watched without having to watch Hill House first, though fans of Hill House may find hidden easter eggs in this follow up.   

It stands greatly on it’s own, and provides another chilling experience for the viewers who are looking for a spooky Halloween night. 

Cervantes tried out this show as well, “It’s a strong sequel to the first,” and “terrifyingly tragic,” living up to the haunting imagery of Hill House. 

While Hill House explores the aftermath of the family who endured terrifying paranormal activities, Bly Manor focuses on the trapped souls who are reliving their worst memories over and over again. 

Paranormal instances, worst nightmares, trapped souls, and subtle jumpscares; both The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor are guaranteed to give you a bone chilling Halloween night.