Showing Appreciation and Respect to Our Veterans

American Flag flying high above the campus

Veterans Day is a national holiday celebrated in the United States that honors the men and women who served our country in the armed forces. Although this day is specifically for celebrating our veterans, respect and gratitude can be shown towards our veterans year-round. 

Military service is a calling for some individuals, who believe it gives them a sense of purpose in their lives. For others, it’s in the genes, and they followed in the footsteps of their family members before them. There are many reasons why someone choses to enlist in the armed forces, whether it be the only option after high school, or just a way out of a small town. The decision isn’t an easy one to make and it’s something to be thankful for. 

Being in the armed forces isn’t a job that everyone is lining up to do, but someone must do it. Therefore, respect and gratitude should be shown towards our veterans, young and old, for their service. 

CSU Stanislaus is home to many former service men and women who are students, staff, and faculty on campus. 

Alan Herrera (junior, Social Science) served four years in the Marine Corps until 2017.  

“We’re just like everybody else,” he said. “When I served, everybody’s super into the anime and super into everything that everybody is into. 

Herrera went on to say that different life experience is the only difference between one another. He followed this up by talking about how students can show appreciation by welcoming them into their clubs or friend groups and talking to them in class. 

Jennifer Faulder (MA, Psychology) received her undergraduate degree here at Stan State and served in the Air Force Reserves.

“It’s just to be treated like any other student,” she said.

She added that she’s had different experiences that other people haven’t and respecting those experiences is something students and other people can do.  

Carlos Rivera, treasurer of the veterans club at Stan State, is a veteran himself and said that he didn’t do anything spectacular in his eyes and that when it came down to it, he was just doing a job that nobody else wanted to do. Rivera says that saying ”thank you for your service” is something we’ve been told to do since we were young, and in the eyes of some Veterans it’s not always necessary, but it’s still something that should still be said. 

“They try to be considerate you know, and I’m grateful,” Rivera said, “Thank you for actually thinking about it

He went on to say that the armed forces are made up of individuals who have all the same interests as any other person here and in most cases are fresh out of high school or in their early twenties like most college students. 

Rivera and Faulder said it’s more of a thank you for acknowledging their experiences. They added that the armed forces are made up of individuals who have all the same interests as any other person here and in most cases are out of high school or in their early twenties like most of us.