Faculty Profile: Goshu Tefera

Dr Goshu Tefera recently joined Stanislaus State as an ethnic studies professor. 

Dr. Goshu Tefera joins Stanislaus State as an ethnic studies professor with a background in migration African studies. He is excited to join the Stan State community and looks forward to exploring Turlock and the Central Valley.

Q: Will you tell me a little bit about your teaching background? 

A: I taught at Monash University, the largest university in Australia, but started out my career teaching African American courses as a graduate student at Syracuse University in New York.

Q: What would you like students to know about your teaching style? 

A: I love to teach, and I believe there are two kinds of teaching, there’s a difference between the traditional style of teaching and what scholars call a humanizing one.

Q: Will you tell me a little bit about your research background?

A: My research is around international migration, refugees’ displacement, and the experience of African refugees in the western world. I look at Ethiopian migration to Australia and Ethiopian migration to the United States.

Q: What would you like the Stan State community to know about your research?

A: My research is putting the migrants experience in the spotlight and understanding marginalized groups.